For five years I’ve been saying the same thing: When you blog or blog a book, you kill many birds with one stone. If you are an aspiring author, published author, entrepreneur, speaker, coach, or some other creative soul—even a blogger—who wants to publish a book for any reason, a blog helps you accomplish this goal and much more!
Below you will find a list of 30 things you accomplish while you blog or blog a book. And don’t overlook the fact that you write your book as you blog!
When you blog or blog a book, you…
- Build authority or expert status in your industry or field.
- Develop an author platform.
- Provide valuable material of your own to share on social networks.
- Increase your writing efficiency.
- Increase your writing productivity.
- Test market book ideas.
- Test market article ideas.
- Get reader feedback on your book ideas.
- Get reader feedback on your manuscript.
- Enlist real readers to tell you what works and doesn’t work in your manuscript.
- Ask real readers to offer anecdotes and testimonials you can use in your book and to promote your book.
- Increase your income.
- Drive more customers and clients to your business.
- Make your site more discoverable in the search engines.
- Get your book written in a consistent manner (with posts written and published regularly).
- Develop a regular and consistent blogging habit.
- Promote yourself and your book on your site/blog.
- Find the time to produce a manuscript and build platform.
- Create a mailing list of people eager to purchase your finished book.
- Develop a subscriber list of people who want to read and have read you book.
- Attract agents and publishers.
- Attract media representatives.
- Prove you can write or blog (so you get hired as a freelancer or get asked to guest blog on more-popular sites).
- Brand yourself.
- Share your message.
- Invite people to get involved in your cause or movement.
- Create a community.
- Develop a goldmine of content to repurpose into books, reports, or other products.
- Create a business around your blog (or book).
- Develop a meeting place for like-minded folks.
The fact that you build author platform while you blog provides a good enough reason to start blogging or to blog a book. (And then, as I mentioned, there is the fact that at the same time you can finish your book manuscript and maybe even land a publishing deal!)
If you found one or more items on this list that appeal to you, or that you know you need to accomplish, you know what to do. Start blogging or blogging your book.
If you want to add to my list, do so in a comment.